Compliances with CMA Order 2014
In October 2014, the Competition and Markets Authority (the “CMA”) published the Private Healthcare Market Investigation Order 2014 (the “Order”) following its investigation into the private healthcare industry.
The Order imposed requirements on private hospital operators to disclose certain information in relation to referring clinicians (as defined by the Order) for the benefit of patients. Full details about the investigation and the Order can be found on the CMA web page.
“Higher Value” Services
The services provided at Fairfield Independent Hospital to referring clinicians and the amounts charged by Fairfield Independent Hospital for those services are set out below:
- Use of consulting rooms: £32.00 per hour which includes secretarial support.
- An accounting and administration fee for private work only up to a maximum of 3% of the total invoice.
“Low Value” Services
The following “low-value” services are also provided to referring clinicians with practising privileges at this hospital:
- General services to ensure clinical safety (e.g. in-house training, chaperones)
- Operational services such as patient bookings/admissions, administrative services and billing, and insurance/indemnity cover in respect of NHS patients
- General marketing support, including the production of consultant directories, promotional activities, web profiles etc.
- Basic workplace amenities such as teas/coffees/refreshments, subsidised meals, car parking, stationery.
Corporate Hospitality events for referring clinicians
Fairfield Independent Hospital does not host or contribute to corporate events for referring clinicians.
Clinician Financial Interests in Fairfield Independent Hospital
No clinician has a financial interest in Fairfield Independent Hospital
Clinician Advisory services to Fairfield Independent Hospital
Private hospital operators are required to disclose details of certain paid services provided by referring clinicians to private hospitals. No such arrangements exist at Fairfield Independent Hospital.