Tips for Choosing the Right Cosmetic Surgeon
How do know if you have chosen the right cosmetic surgeon?
Cosmetic surgery is definitely something that shouldn’t be taken lightly.
So we’ve asked Mr Se Hwang Liew, one of our Plastic Surgeons to provide some expert advice on what to look for.
1. Consultations with a surgeon. Mr. Liew recommends that your consultations should be with the surgeon, i.e. the specialist who will be performing your procedure right from the start and not a sales person or specially trained nurse.Tip. During the consultation ask as many questions as you want, maybe prepare a list before hand.
2. Is the surgeon registered with the General Medical Council? You should choose a fully qualified surgeon, listed on the General Medical Council’s (GMC) Specialist Register for Plastic Surgery, and also a member of the British Associated of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS).
3. Do you know what the potential risks are? A good cosmetic surgeon should be open and therefore they should dedicate some time to cover the associated risks with your procedure.
Tip. If you are not sure then ask the surgeon to cover the risks again. Don’t be afraid.
4. Has the surgeon covered what you are likely to expect after the procedure? Your surgeon should be able to provide a full and realistic explanation of whether a procedure will require further medical attention.
Tip. Remember to ask if the procedure needs to be repeated in the future to maintain the result. For example, if you have implants how long will they last?
5. Remember it’s your procedure. Therefore it’s important that you are confident about your decision to have cosmetic surgery. Mr. Liew recommends that you “Give yourself some time, and don’t be pressured by time sensitive discounts or special offers.”
Tip. Give yourself a minimum of 14 days to think about the procedure, this is an industry known standard.
6. What’s included in the aftercare. Arguably aftercare is just as important as the surgery itself, as complications can happen. Only choose a surgeon who offers regular clinics in a location of your choice. If anything does go wrong, you want know who and where to contact.
Tip. Ensure you understand what is and isn’t included in the aftercare being offered.
Mr. Se Hwang Liew performs a full range of surgical and non surgical cosmetic procedures, including breast and liposuction, eyelid surgery, and nose reshaping. He holds a regular clinic every Wednesday.