Ectropion (Eye Lid Turns Outwards) Treatments

Ectropion occurs when the eye lid turns outwards.

By Andrew Hatfield
Updated: 17th July 2023

Medically reviewed by

Ectropion mainly affects the lower eye lid and can occur in one or both eyes. Ectroption is different to entroption, which is where the eye lid turns inwards, towards the eye.

If you are concerned about your eye lids turning outwards (Ectropion), your eye lids turning inwards (Entropion) or eye lid cysts (Chalazions) you can ask book to see one of our Consultant Ophthalmologists privately without any long delays and at a time to suit you. Our Consultant Ophthalmic (eye) surgeons are located in our ophthalmology clinic, tailored to individual needs in fully equipped clean examination rooms.

What treatments are suitable for Ectropion?

Our consultants offer a wide range of Ectropion treatments including:

Which consultants treat Ectropion?

Consultants who treat Entropion or Ectropion are:

All our Consultant Ophthalmologists are registered on the GMC Specialist Register and the Royal College of Ophthalmologists.

During the consultation the Consultant will examine the cornea (front of the eye) as it may become damaged if ectropion is left untreated.

Particular attention is taken during the examination to confirm if a corneal ulcer has developed.

Want to be seen privately?

Whether you have medical insurance or decide to fund your care yourself, we deliver the very best of healthcare in a friendly and safe environment.

You will be offered an appointment at the earliest convenient date for you.

For information about booking appointment you can contact us on 01744 746 425 or

The information on this page is for reference only and has been reviewed by appropriate medical or clinical professionals. The information contained on this page should not be a substitute for professional medical advice nor is it intended to be for medical diagnosis or treatment.